Monday, 28 February 2011

Black Swan



If you hadn't heard the Oscar buzz around this film you either live under a rock or have no interest in movies. The other day my friends and I searched out a screening in English with no idea what to expect. After the credits rolled our opinions were divided (GA hated it saying that he enjoyed 'happy' films only) but it was probably one of the best films I've seen in a while.

Now I'm no expert but I thought a lot of it was extremely well done. The camera work was not really like anything I've seen, frequently staying close to the character's faces in an almost claustrophobic manner, keeping you on the edge of your seat throughout.

I read somewhere that Natalie Portman (who won Best Actress last night) and Mila Kunis had to train for six months, five hours a day and it shows. Despite being sickeningly skinny it was strange seeing actresses who we know dancing en pointe with ease. One of my friends even said in shock 'Oh was that Natalie Portman? I thought it was just a random ballet dancer!'

The storyline was also clever and tight and it takes some working out in your head afterwards. It would have been interesting to see the result if Darren Aronofsky hadn't strayed from reality at various points in the film but these nevertheless punctuated the main character's state of mind and were downright chilling. Labelled as a companion film to 'The Wrestler' I will definitely be checking that out too. Oh and not to forget the lesbian sex scene which was surprisingly really hot!

3 comments:

Doomed But Cheerful! said...

Sounds like a recommendation. Thanks.

Hot lesbian sex? Next you will be announcing that you've 'gone straight'!

You might enjoy 'Lesbian Vampire Killers' ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020885/ ) in that case!

Have a wonderful day. G =]

CATC said...

Definitely a recommendation.

Haha never. The video in my next post proves my gayness.

I've seen Lesbian Vampire Killers unfortunately. My group of straight mates from home are obsessed with it. It's kinda hilarious (in a completely shit way).

the immigayrant said...

Hahhahaa...
I just watched Black Swan too. It made me want to watch the ballet performance of Swan Lake.

^_^